It’s very easy to get caught up in the negativity of people around you, but if you can implement these four simple steps, you’ll find yourself having a good day that will rub off on those around you. This will make you a positive influence in the world.
Start with a Smile
1. Wake up with a smile on your face. How many of us wake up and groan at the thought of the day ahead? Tomorrow morning, try doing something a little different.
- Set your alarm five minutes earlier than normal.
- As you wake up, luxuriate in the warmth and softness of your bed.
- Smile to yourself to set your inner mood.
When you start your day out smiling, your energy increases and you impact not only your mood but the mood of those around you.
2. Before you get out of bed, think of five things you’re grateful for. You can also do this at the end of the day as a way to end the day on a high note (makes it much easier to wake up with a smile.)
Put the Brakes ON
3. Use the STOP sign. Anytime you feel yourself getting upset, anxious, or frustrated as you go through your day, flash a bright red stop sign in your head. Take that moment to take a deep breath, center yourself, and then carry on with your whatever activity you were doing. You’ll feel a lot less agitated and those around you will benefit.
Kindness goes a LONG way
4. Be nice. This step is so simple, yet so many people are just too busy to put it into place. Being nice is as easy as smiling at the cabbie or the bus driver in the morning, saying “hello” to the person you buy your coffee from, or using the words “thank you” at least a half a dozen times a day. If you take action to be nice, friendly, and caring, then your day will be so much better than if you run around feeling sorry for yourself, angry or upset.
None of these tips will cost you anything in terms of money or time. It’s easier on your face if you smile rather than frown; it’s easier to get through a day feeling contented and happy. And if you share your happy mood, just imagine what a wonderful gift that can be for those around you!
It has been said that, “Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.” If you start your day preparing to have a good one, your day will blossom just as you do.